
Author; Jackie French
Illustrator; Darren Holt
ISBN-780732 288402
[Ages 10+] Highly Recommended
Oracle is a history fiction by the amazing author, Jackie French who has written over forty-five books for all ages. She has been writing for many years and this book is possibly one the best.
Oracle is about a young boy called Nikko and his sister called Thetis. On the day Thetis was born, Nikko's father took her out to die in the woods. Nikko's brother, Aertes, said if they were taking the baby out to the woods, it was a girl. He said there was no use for girls. Nikko didn't get this. When his brother was finally asleep, he went out to get her. When Nikko got to her, an eagle looked like it was protecting her. When Nikko came back to the village, his father was mad and didn't show it. His mother was happy and the people of the village just stared at him. That's when they named her Thetis. After 5 years, she still didn't speak. She just watched what other people did. Her mother thought it was because nobody talked to her except her and Nikko. She decided to take her to the local hag. The hag said the mother (like goddess but a woman with 3 faces. Read the book to find out more) took part of her gift and that she could give it back. When Thetis began to talk, they found out she could tell the truth and see the truth. A few months passed and it was time for the kings men to come down to villages and take sacrifices for the king. The men have an idea to hide half the barley. Nikko's father make Nikko promise not to tell Thetis. Nikko makes Thetis promise not to talk to the kings men. One day, Nikko was walking on the road outside the village with Thetis on his shoulder. Thetis said she wanted to be a butterfly. Nikko sang a song with no words. Not long after, an acrobat appeared, claiming (truthfully) that he used to dance for the king. He said Thetis and Nikko had some talent. When the kings men came into the village, Nikko's father made Thetis promise not to talk to anyone because he thought Thetis had told the kings men. The acrobat said to swap Nikko and Thetis for the sacrifice. Will they survive performing for the king? Will they ever see their family again? The ending will astound you.
The last page of the story is my favourite but I don't wish to give the ending away. This book helps us know the past about when the 'Oracle' was around.
I would recommend any of Jackie French's books to anyone older than 11. She writes books for all ages. Picture books, young novels and older themes for adults. Jackie won Elder Citizen of the Year in Australia. All her books are great for some ages. Some, on the other hand, are too old for young children. The book really has a meaning to it. Jackie makes Oracle seem like it was based on a true events.
I think it's a really good blog. I was questioning on reading it before and now I definitely want to read it. I think this book was a really good choice, I like Jackie French books too.
ReplyDeleteThank you Tia!
DeleteI think it's a really good blog. I was questioning on reading it before and now I definitely want to read it. I think this book was a really good choice, I like Jackie French books too.
ReplyDeletedid you mean to repeat?
Delete